Dining Room Rug Size Guide
The dining room is a room where countless memories are made. Time is spent with family and loved ones, while sharing great food and laughter.
Adding a rug to your dining room can be a simple way to add a touch of style to your space, thereby highlighting the beauty of those memories.
"A rug is an excellent way to make your dining space feel more comfortable and complete," shares home decor enthusiast Sarah Lyon. In order to choose the right rug size for your dining room, you’ll have to consider important factors such as your dining room table, its shape and measurement, and your dining room size.
However, if you want to avoid all the reading and immediately start previewing rugs in your dining room instead - do this:
1. Upload a picture of your dining room.
2. Indicate the desired rug location.
3. Browse through the rugs displayed within your room.
4. Choose one that catches your eye and investigate it further.
Dining Room Dimensions
Now, before we dive into the topic of rug sizes for dining rooms, there is an important factor to consider: your living room dimensions. Dining room dimensions vary greatly depending on the size of the house, the general layout and personal preferences.
But, to make matters simple, let’s focus on some typical dining room sizes that we can use as a guideline. We’ll simplify by looking at Small, Medium and Large dining rooms.
1. Small Dining Room: A small dining room can generally range from 9 feet by 9 feet (2.7 meters by 2.7 meters) to 10 feet by 12 feet (3 meters by 3.7 meters). While this is the smallest of the three, this size can still comfortably hold a small dining table and chairs.
2. Medium Dining Room: A medium-sized dining room usually ranges between 10 feet by 12 feet (3 meters by 3.7 meters) and 12 feet by 14 feet (3.7 meters by 4.3 meters). Being larger, this size allows for a larger dining table and more or larger chairs. This room size can accommodate more people and allows for more movement.
3. Large Dining Room: A large dining room typically measures around 14 feet by 16 feet (4.3 meters by 4.9 meters) and anything above this measurement. With this room size, you’ll face less obstacles and will be able to comfortably accommodate additional furniture such as buffets or sideboards.
Why Add A Rug To Your Dining Room?
There are multiple reasons why many choose to incorporate a rug into their dining room. Let’s look at 5 reasons people choose to add a rug to their dining room.
- Style and Aesthetics: This one goes without saying. Adding a rug is a simple way to instantly add a bit of pizzazz to any room. It’s a way of introducing patterns, colors and textures in a way that doesn’t take up additional space, even if your dining room falls on the smaller end of the scale. Add a rug and you will immediately complement any existing décor and tie everything together.
- Warmth and Comfort: Dining rooms are often layered with hard flooring such as tiles. While this is great due to its ease of maintenance, it can also feel cold and uninviting, particularly in the winter. Incorporating a rug is a simple way of creating additional comfort and providing some warmth underfoot. This will help your family and guests feel more at home, while also providing some warm coziness!
- Noise Reduction: Dining rooms are usually always bustling, particularly during meals and gatherings. Rugs are a great way to absorb noise and prevent echo and reverberations, as well as creating a more acoustically inviting atmosphere. By adding a rug to your dining room, you’ll be able to dampen noise levels in the house. Now, you can have guests over until late at night without expecting an angry neighbor in the morning!
- Protection and Easy Maintenance: Rugs are a great way to protect your floor. Dining room tables often move about, potentially creating scratches on the surface of your floor. To avoid this, simply place a rug underneath your dining table and voila – no more scratches. It also adds an extra layer of protection against spills and stains. For your dining room, it’s a great idea to invest in a machine-washable rug.
- Definition of Space: Adding a rug to a space is a beautiful way of delineating and defining an area. By adding a rug to your dining room, you can even create a separate area within open-concept floors or larger rooms. It will create a visual separation that indicates the space as a distinct area, such as the dining table. This is a great way of adding a sense of structure and organization to your dining room.
Rug Size Guide For Dining Room
Now that we’ve covered the basics, let’s get to the burning question – what size rug should you add to your dining room?
3 Rules For Choosing A Rug Size
- Rugs should remain at least 4 inches (10 cm) away from the walls to avoid crowding the room
- Do not place rugs on floor vents
- When choosing your rug, skip the painter’s tape - use DressMyCrib’s rug visualizer and check if the rug size fits your room the way you want it to
Rug Size Guide For Dining Room - 5 Tips
- Measure the length and width of your dining room table and round each measurement to the nearest foot. Now, add 3-4 feet to each measurement.
- Your rug should extend 24-30 inches on each side of the table for the chairs to slide in and out easily. This size allows all four chair legs to stand on the rug and will eliminate the risk of the legs catching on the rug.
- For round tables: round rugs and square rugs will work best.
- For rectangular tables: rectangular rugs will work best.
- For oval tables: rectangular rugs will work best.
To read more about how to choose the right rug size under your dining table, read our dining table rug size chart.
How Should I Choose A Rug Size For My Dining Room?
It can be difficult to choose the right size rug for your dining room since you need to be confident that the color, thickness, and style are all ideal for your room. Use DressMyCrib's Augmented Reality "See Rug in Your Room" feature to see bedroom rugs in your own dining room so you can be sure of your decision.
What Stores Or Platforms Sell Various Rug Sizes For Dining Rooms?
Nowadays, it is easy to find many stunning and practical area rug sizes for your dining room. You can use DressMyCrib's rug visualizer to help you choose and then shop for them online from retailers like Amazon, Wayfair, Target, Ikea, and Walmart. With just a phone, you can preview any rug anywhere in your room - completely free!