What Area Rug For Queen Size Bed - Find Out What Area Rug Size To Get
Area rugs for a queen size bed – they can add an instant flair to your bedroom. But what area rug size should you pick?
Adding an area rug to your queen bed is an effortless way to increase your bedroom’s comfort levels. You can use the opportunity to add texture, colors or patterns into a highly personal space. But what is the correct area rug size for your queen bed? Read our ultimate area rug size guide to find out.
However, if you want to avoid all the reading and immediately start previewing area rugs under your queen bed instead - do this:
1. Upload a picture of your room showcasing a queen-size bed.
2. Indicate the desired rug location.
3. Browse through the rugs displayed within your room.
4. Choose the one that catches your eye and investigate it further.
Queen Bed Sizes and How To Find The Right Area Rug Size
"Adding an area rug to your bedroom is a quick way to make it feel cozier and more relaxing, with soft textures and styling that reflects your unique tastes" shares one rug expert.
Queen beds are the most common mattress size, measuring 60 x 80 inches (152 x 202 cm). However, there are variations in queen bed sizes – see our infographic for details on Olympic queen and California queen beds.
3 Facts About Area Rug Sizes and Queen Beds
- Room Size: Queen beds work best in rooms that are at least 9.5’ x 10’
- Queen Bed Placement: Queen beds are most commonly placed in the center of the room, against one wall
- Rug Size: The most common area rug size for queen beds is 8x10
As a rule of thumb, interior designers advise that rugs should extend at the very least 18 inches (45 cm) beyond the sides of your queen-sized bed. Often times, decorators choose to use area rugs extending 18 to 24 inches (45 to 60 cm) beyond the edges of the bed.
Taking this and the size of your queen bed into account, we are left with an area rug that should be at least 8 feet wide. If, however, your bed is an Olympic queen (66 x 80 inches, or 167 x 202 cm), choose a rug that is at least 9 feet wide.
Best Area Rug Sizes For Queen Size Beds
- Layering 4x6 Rugs: Try layering two 4x6 area rugs or putting one rug on each side of the bed
- 5x7 or 5x8: This is the smallest size you should use for a queen bed. This size works well for smaller bedrooms.
- 6x9: This rug size will give you 24 inches of rug extension on each side of the bed and works well for medium-sized bedrooms.
- 7x10: This area rug size will give you 30 inches of extension on each side.
- 8x10 or 9x12: This size will give you 30 inches and 42 inches of extension on each side respectively. This is a great option for larger bedrooms and for those wishing to place nightstands or other furniture on the rug. With a placement about one third from the top of the bed, these area rug sizes will also allow for 10 to 22 inches of exposure at the foot of the bed.
Area Rugs For Queen Beds – Placement
- 4x6, Runners or Sheepskins: Place these rugs on either side of the bed, or at the foot of the bed. Do not place any furniture on these rugs.
- 5x7 or 5x8: Place the rug at the bottom two-thirds of your queen bed, allowing for some rug exposure on all sides of the bed.
- 7x10: Place the rug on the bottom two-thirds of your queen bed, or slightly closer to the headboard.
- 8x10 and 9x12: Place this area rug at the headboard, or three-quarters below the headboard. The first placement will allow you to place your nightstands on the rug, while still providing plenty of exposure on the sides.
Final Tip For Choosing Area Rug Size For Queen Bed:
Now that we’ve covered the basics, use DressMyCrib’s rug visualizer to virtually place any area rug directly under or next to your queen bed. This will allow you to double check that you are selecting the best area rug size, color, texture, pattern and style for your interior.
How Should I Choose An Area Rug Size For My Queen Bed?
It can be difficult to choose the right area rug size for under your queen bed since you need to be confident that the size, color, thickness, and style are all ideal for your room. Use DressMyCrib's Augmented Reality "See Rug in Your Room" feature to see bedroom rugs for your own queen bed so you can be sure of your decision.
What Stores Or Platforms Sell Various Area Rug Sizes For Queen Beds?
Nowadays, it is easy to find many practical area rugs at all sizes price ranges for your queen bed. You can use DressMyCrib's rug-visualizer to help you choose and then shop for them online from retailers like Amazon, Wayfair, Target, Ikea, and Walmart. With just a phone, you can preview any rug anywhere in your room - completely free!